Tuesday, March 3, 2009

OOPS!

I have a confession to make. I goofed. Hopefully I can recover from my oops!
Most of you know, Dan is out of town. This is week three. I'll give an update on that later. Dan is very much a family man, very much a homebody. So this separation from us is hard for him. However, he does need work, so that is why we are undertaking the sacrifice. In my efforts to encourage him, I tell him that we are fine, the boys are doing well, I'm keeping up with life. All of which is true (which is somewhat perplexing to me, again, another post). Then the other night I had a epiphany....my knight and shining armour, our family hero is being told he is not needed. OOOPS! I wanted him to know that we are doing fine, coping well, and I think I inadvertently told him he is not needed here at home. It's a fine line, I know. I didn't want him to think life was falling apart here, he'd worry and stress that he wasn't taking care of us properly. BUT, I know my guy, he DOES want to know that he is valuable, needed and loved. (don't we all???) So last night while on the phone, I tried to convey how much we miss him, need him but we're doing OK. How proud I am of the sacrifice he is making for us and we can't wait for him to come home. Whew. I hope I recovered from my bad. Don't get me wrong. These feelings are sincere. Our guys are smart on such things - he can see right through my obligatory fluff. I DO miss him, I DO need him and he IS our family hero. I just didn't do so well at telling him these things. Pray for my guy as we delicately balance on the high wire.
***
So, Dan is still in OKC. Given any day, the story is different. It's a hard struggle. The community and the media have caught "wind" of out-of-towners trying to sell their wares. So the sell is much harder. They (locals) don't much care that Peak Roofing is a licensed contractor with an A+ chamber of commerce rating. (I guess in OK, roofing companies do not need to be a licensed contractor??) What the locals DO care is that these outsiders are coming in and taking business away from the locals. I understand this. And privately, I thought this a big concern myself. My dad was a local businessman (heating and A/C contractor), and I know ALL about supporting your local businesses, and I do try to when at all possible. Even when it may cost me a few extra dollars. So this whole venture wasn't so exciting for me, on a personal level. However, the fact that Peak Roofing was giving the customer a superior product and craftmanship (not sure that is the right word) gave me more peace that we could align ourself with this venture. I digress... So, after three weeks, these are the very problems they are faced with. Dan is discouraged, and very lonely for home. He has a flight to come home this weekend (yea!!) But we'll decide in the next few days if we're at the point of determining if the sacrifice is really worth it. Mind you, we still have not seen any postive cash flow to our bank account..... In the meantime, we have not heard anything from the local (colorado springs) job possibility that is suppose to be hiring mid March. God knows. I know we will not go hungry, and at this point we do not have to sell one of our rental properties. Thank you for your continued prayers.
***
Between you an me, the boys and I are doing fine. Better than I could have imagined. While I am very surprised by this, I am surprised by my surprise. :) Why should I be surprised. I serve a living and faithful God. God's grace and mercy is alive and very active in our family right now, why should I be surprised by how "smooth" things are running around here at home? God is good, and He DOES care about the mundane things in our lives. It just give me the very warm fuzzies to remember that. God is Good ALL THE TIME!!!

Thank you for your prayers. They are felt.

2 comments:

  1. I know the high wire you are balancing on Amy. We have teetered there ourselves through many a deployment. We will be keeping the situation in prayer and hoping something opens up here at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Andrea. I know you do know what I am talking about. I'm happy for you guys that you are now closer to family to help get you through the deployments. I think of you often, remembering your family sacrifice. Really. If our soldiers can do it, I can certainly do it for a few weeks, right? Thank you for Matthews service and your family sacrifice - you guys are precious.

    ReplyDelete