Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Teaching to Change Lives...

I received this book from a woman I deeply respect. A sister in Christ, but more importantly, someone I am watching very closely - my unofficial mentor. I co-lead a woman's Bible Study this past year and was so amazed at watching her. Anyway, she gave me this book at the end of our time together. So when Marion gives me something to read, I sit up and take notice as I esteem her highly. (taken from 1 Thessalonians 5:13) I know, Paul was talking about our Elders, but I still esteem her highly, and thank God for her in my life continually.
So, back to the book. I opened this book up today and thought I'd jot down my initial impressions as I embark on this reading, and thought it could be interesting to compare my thoughts AFTER I read it. Here's the "note" I made on the inside cover:

April 21, 2009. Initial thoughts as I start this book. This book was a gift, not one I purchased myself. A gift from a woman who's life I admire greatly. If she felt I would benefit from this book, let me learn what it has to say. "Teacher" would not be a word I'd use to describe myself. Not one of my "giftings". I feel I struggle with clear articulation, so how can I effectively communicate my "material"? No, I would not call myself a teacher. (except where my boys are concerned). I would, however, think I have some "leadership" qualities (not necessarily my strongest gifting) but it made me wonder where the difference lies. Again, I'd cite my "lacking" in ability to articulate concisely - I"m the Queen of Rabbit Trails - a horribly frustrating quality in a teacher. (IMO) (But, I'm working on this) Leader? perhaps. I have a strong heart's desire for spiritual maturity. I LOVE to contemplate God's Word, and apply it to not only MY life, but lives around me - and really strive to encourage those in my circle of influence to pursue things of God. Therefore, I ask, where do teaching and leadership differ? Where am I thinking incorrectly? I tend to gravitate to books that talk about good leadership (Twelve Ordinary Men, by John MacArthur comes to mind - may dust that off again), as opposed to good teaching. So this could be interesting. I look forward to finding these answers, and what God is about to teach me. (LOVE THAT)

So, like my other book, I'll pipe in now and again what I'm learning. I'm already diggin' what I've read so far. Still not convinced I'm a "teacher" - except where my children, and perhaps as a neighborhood mom is concerned. It's good stuff ladies - come follow along if you want - I'd love the company.

***
Thank you for all the encouragement from my last post - I needed that.

I'll keep today's post short, and give you time to go out and get your own book and follow along. :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment