Saturday, April 18, 2009

I am OUT OF SHAPE....

This full time motherhood thing. I thought I had it all figured out. I realized this week how OUT OF SHAPE I AM. WARNING: serious whining ahead This week kicked my b**t in the motherhood arena. I knew Dan was a fabulous help to me around here, but I had no idea HOW MUCH he helped me until this week. Dang! My hats off to all you friends out there whose husbands have "regular" jobs (which is all of you) I AM NOT WORTHY. Not once, not twice but three different occasions this week I was feeling pretty ticked off at this new "employment" thing. Then he deposited his check on Friday and I got over it. Let me explain.
Tuesday I had it all worked out. Dan would come home from work, we'd have dinner, and he could go deliver a refrigerator we had bought on Craigs List. I even had the open bed truck all lined up, had the refrig already paid for, all the people in their places. Dan had to stay late at work to finish up a bid. EXCUSE ME???? No, send my husband home on time, please. I was pretty indignant as this hiccup really messed with my evening. I had to go pick up the truck, which now meant I had the boys with me, which made it complicated, how could I get a refrig into a truck. The seller was not cooperative to reschedule.... it all came together, and the kids and I ran through McDonalds at 8:15 pm that night - and Dan met us in the driveway - he was just getting home as well. GRRRRRR. Wednesday, both boys have school, so it's my "free" day. My tummy was experiencing some "odd" pains, so I thought I best stay close to home, and didn't take long to realize I was coming down with a flu bug. Chills etc. A little hiccup in car pool, meant I had to go get both boys from school, so going to bed was not an option. By my 3:30 carpool, I was good and trembling, but knew I had to push through it, Dan could not come home. I did ask him to meet me at Steffen's running club practice field so we could tag team ASAP and I could get home and get to bed. (5:30) GRRRRRR. Friday - snow day. It was so beautiful, and I was feeling better from the flu bug, so it wasn't so bad. Then about 3:30pm the sun started to peek through and the kids wanted to go sledding....nooooooooo, can't you wait until daddy gets home? No, here in Colorado, you cannot wait for those rare sledding moments. when the time was right, you have to jump on it. Especially this time of year. God's agent (aka the Holy Spirit) worked quickly on me for this one, and I announced OF COURSE we'll go sledding. Lets get our snow pants on. (I so did not want to go do this) We had a ball, and sure enough, as we stomped through the door at 5pm, another storm started and we wouldn't have been able to go sledding at that time (daddy home time). By the time Dan rolled in the door after his long week at work - I had a great appreciation of how much time I have been taking off these past two and a half years from "stay at home mom". VERY HUMBLING my friends. I've got to step up my game and get much more organized around here. Daddy is just not here to fill in for play like he has. Momma has to play and engage. WOWSA.
For the record, Dan let me sleep in, wAAAAY in today (saturday) and I sorted Lego's much of my day, playing with Steffen. Daddy built a very ugly snowman in the backyard with the boys.
This slacker is signing off. May I be much better tomorrow than I was yesterday. I can do this.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Amy. Being a stay at home mom is rewarding, wonderful, awesome and very tiring!!! ;) I'm glad you made it through your week - and love that you took the boys sledding even if you didn't feel like it. Way to go mom! Glad that you are appreciating Dan in a new light and also thankful for his new job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be praying for a smooth transition as you "re-adjust" to things. You are a great Mama...even when you have bad days. ;)

    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, I'm sure you'll get back in shape soon enough. We all rely on our husbands to the level we can. I for one am spoiled to have A handle bathtime all the time and be the one in charge for bedtime. On the nights that he is unable, it IS hard for me, but makes me more thankful for my husband and the way he shares in the work of childrearing.

    ReplyDelete